Sunday, January 23, 2011

Celie's relationship with God

After reading about 40 pages of "The Color Purple", Celie's letters to God explain her traits and her relationship with God. First of all, I think that Celie is very faithful. She confides in God in every letter and hopes that he will get her through her bad times. On page 3, she says, "I'm hoping he fine someone to marry. I see him looking at my little sister. She scared. But I say I'll take care of you. With God help." Here, she is saying that she wants her father to marry someone so he can stop abusing her. She also wants to protect her little sister from their abusive father. She puts her faith in God and thinks that he will help her every step of the way.  She wants to be protected from her abusive husband and therefore puts her faith in God that eventually, if she deals with it, she will end up in heaven and have a good after life.
I think that Celie  is also a very strong willed person. She knows what she stands for and she knows what is right and what is wrong. I think that Celie was unfairly treated and could have gone farther in life. Nettie knows that Celie is smart and should have been able to go to school. If she had not been married off at such a young age and did not have the responsibilities she did as a child, she could have gone far in life. I think that because of all the tragedies in her life is why she has so much faith in God. God is a way for her to have hope and for her to vent out everything she is angry about. God is also a way for her to feel like someone is watching over her, helping her every step of the way.
On page 7, she says, "Dear God, I ast him to take me instead of Nettie." She cares so much about her little sister that she would let her father give her off to an abusive man. This is admirable how much she cares for her sister. She is also very faithful which helps her a lot. She gets through everyday knowing that God will always be with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment