Thursday, December 16, 2010

Response to sam 12/16

I chose to respond to Sam's book post on the growth of Christopher.
 In the beginning of the book, Christopher was not able to process any emotion, he couldn’t tell when he was happy or sad, and when he tried to tell what other people felt, he would get frustrated and scream or groan.  At the very end of the book, we get a sure sign that his condition will get better when he is able to process the feeling of joy that came from passing his math exam and tell readers exactly how he felt.  I wish my group had a little more time to go over more though.  I don’t believe we covered other Characters in the story as much as we could.  I think his mom had also grown a lot since she left, and I think his dad had worsened after Christopher left.  Also I wished we spent more time discussing his social problems.  It seemed that whenever he tried to communicate with strangers they would get mad at him.  I am still curious about if people are aware of his disorder.
I agree with Sam that Christopher has grown over the course of the book. In the beginning, he would just groan to drown his problems out but as the book progressed, he started to become more and more adaptive to new challenges. When he has to find the train station, he breaks out of his comfort zone and asks a lady how to get there. Also, when he is at the train station, he gets his ticket and it is yellow. No matter how much he detests yellow, he has to deal with it to find his mother. After Christopher left, I definitely think he worsened. When Chris got back and started to trust him more, he felt better and realized it was good to spend time with family. I think that everyone grew in this story, even if they were not mentioned. Siobhan probably learned more about Chris, Ms. Alexander got to experience the company of an autistic kid, ad his father learned more about the importance of family trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment